- "In the last 20 years our business has changed considerably…and as the focus of our business has changed, Bird Luckin have moved with us."
Alex Tanner, George Tanner (Shalford) Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has looked after us incredibly well for over 60 years, they are pro-active and innovational - meeting all our needs to help us achieve our aims."
Richard Stubbings, Cliffords Limited
- "I can honestly say that Bird Luckin are the best firm of accountants and auditors I have ever dealt with - and I don't say that lightly!"
Colin Webb, Walthamstow Stadium
- "It's important for us to know that we will always be able to contact the right people to give us the right advice and support."
Jane Bennett, Bennetts Funeral Directors
- "Although we deal mainly with one Partner … we also know that if we need to contact someone else who is a specialist in another area, we can get the advice we need quickly and easily"
Jeremy Ruggles, J.S. Wright & Sons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin got us to a stage which would have taken us months - if not years - to reach on our own, and they got us there in a matter of weeks"
Matthew Sullivan, SNC Ltd
- "You can be a good accountant, but if you don't have an understanding of the industry it can be very difficult. "There are two or three people we have regular contact with at Bird Luckin who know our business well, and it makes a difference.""
Robert Church, W A Church (Bures) Ltd
- "The work which Bird Luckin has done for Boddingtons over the past few months has helped shape our future direction for the better."
John Warner, Chief Executive, Boddingtons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has acted for us since our inception 10 years ago. They have a very 'can do' yet highly professional attitude - we are very appreciative of their support and advice over the years."
Marlon Fox, Outlook Property Ltd
Recovering VAT on staff expenses
Although the VAT rules normally prevent you reclaiming VAT on supplies that are not made direct to you, there are certain circumstances when the rules are relaxed.
For instance, the VAT element of subsistence expenses paid to your employees may be treated as input tax. In order to qualify for this concession, employees must be reimbursed for their actual expenditure and not merely receive round sum allowances.
VAT invoices (which may be made out to the employee) must also be obtained.
Reimbursement for road fuel
The VAT legislation permits you to treat as your own supply road fuel which is purchased by a non-taxable person whom you then pay for the actual cost of the fuel. This would therefore allow you to recover input tax when you reimburse your employees for the cost of road fuel used in carrying out their employment duties.
Again, VAT invoices must be obtained.
The legislation also enables you to reclaim the VAT element (or a reasonable approximation) on the amount attributable to fuel of mileage allowances paid to employees (or subcontractors). The fuel element must be close to the fuel-only mileage rates.
HM Revenue & Customs requires the following records to be kept:
- The mileage travelled and whether business or private
- The vehicle’s c.c.
- Rate of mileage allowance
- The amount of input tax claimed
VAT receipts should be provided by staff, which must total the amount on which VAT is reclaimed each quarter.