- "In the last 20 years our business has changed considerably…and as the focus of our business has changed, Bird Luckin have moved with us."
Alex Tanner, George Tanner (Shalford) Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has looked after us incredibly well for over 60 years, they are pro-active and innovational - meeting all our needs to help us achieve our aims."
Richard Stubbings, Cliffords Limited
- "I can honestly say that Bird Luckin are the best firm of accountants and auditors I have ever dealt with - and I don't say that lightly!"
Colin Webb, Walthamstow Stadium
- "It's important for us to know that we will always be able to contact the right people to give us the right advice and support."
Jane Bennett, Bennetts Funeral Directors
- "Although we deal mainly with one Partner … we also know that if we need to contact someone else who is a specialist in another area, we can get the advice we need quickly and easily"
Jeremy Ruggles, J.S. Wright & Sons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin got us to a stage which would have taken us months - if not years - to reach on our own, and they got us there in a matter of weeks"
Matthew Sullivan, SNC Ltd
- "You can be a good accountant, but if you don't have an understanding of the industry it can be very difficult. "There are two or three people we have regular contact with at Bird Luckin who know our business well, and it makes a difference.""
Robert Church, W A Church (Bures) Ltd
- "The work which Bird Luckin has done for Boddingtons over the past few months has helped shape our future direction for the better."
John Warner, Chief Executive, Boddingtons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has acted for us since our inception 10 years ago. They have a very 'can do' yet highly professional attitude - we are very appreciative of their support and advice over the years."
Marlon Fox, Outlook Property Ltd
VAT dos and don'ts
|If you need to check you are being given a valid VAT number you can call HMRC's national advice service on 0845 010 9000 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday.|
- DO keep a monthly record of your turnover - late registration can result in severe penalties
- DO notify your local HM Revenue & Custom's office when major changes take place - changes must be notified within thirty days
- DO retain records for the last six years - these could be demanded by law
- DO obtain and keep VAT invoices - these are your authority to claim back VAT on supplies made to you
- DO charge VAT on supplies to your staff
- DO charge VAT on any equipment or vehicles (except motor cars) that you sell or part-exchange
- DO account for VAT on fuel used for private motoring using the appropriate scale charge
- DON’T claim the VAT paid on the purchase of a motor car - it is not recoverable except in some very special cases
- DON’T claim the VAT paid on goods or services used for private purposes. Where there is an element of private use (e.g. telephone) an appropriate percentage should be claimed. Special arrangements apply to private use of petrol (see above)
- DON’T claim the VAT paid on entertaining
- DON’T forget to account for VAT on inter-company charges, unless both companies are part of a VAT group registration
- DON’T charge VAT on the transfer of a business as a going concern (make sure contracts incorporate appropriate VAT provisions)