- "In the last 20 years our business has changed considerably…and as the focus of our business has changed, Bird Luckin have moved with us."
Alex Tanner, George Tanner (Shalford) Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has looked after us incredibly well for over 60 years, they are pro-active and innovational - meeting all our needs to help us achieve our aims."
Richard Stubbings, Cliffords Limited
- "I can honestly say that Bird Luckin are the best firm of accountants and auditors I have ever dealt with - and I don't say that lightly!"
Colin Webb, Walthamstow Stadium
- "It's important for us to know that we will always be able to contact the right people to give us the right advice and support."
Jane Bennett, Bennetts Funeral Directors
- "Although we deal mainly with one Partner … we also know that if we need to contact someone else who is a specialist in another area, we can get the advice we need quickly and easily"
Jeremy Ruggles, J.S. Wright & Sons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin got us to a stage which would have taken us months - if not years - to reach on our own, and they got us there in a matter of weeks"
Matthew Sullivan, SNC Ltd
- "You can be a good accountant, but if you don't have an understanding of the industry it can be very difficult. "There are two or three people we have regular contact with at Bird Luckin who know our business well, and it makes a difference.""
Robert Church, W A Church (Bures) Ltd
- "The work which Bird Luckin has done for Boddingtons over the past few months has helped shape our future direction for the better."
John Warner, Chief Executive, Boddingtons Ltd
- "Bird Luckin has acted for us since our inception 10 years ago. They have a very 'can do' yet highly professional attitude - we are very appreciative of their support and advice over the years."
Marlon Fox, Outlook Property Ltd
Whether you are a property investor, landlord or developer, there are numerous tax pitfalls to be avoided and planning opportunities to be taken advantage of. At Bird Luckin we have the expertise and experience within the tax consulting team to guide our clients through a property transaction or project and ensure that the best possible tax and commercial outcome can be achieved.
Most owners and investors in commercial property can claim tax relief on capital expenditure in the form of capital allowances. This is a very complex area and without early advice many thousands of pounds can be lost each year through unclaimed or lost allowances – potentially up to 40% of the capital cost of the property in some instances.
Urban regeneration is high on the Government’s list and 150% tax relief has been available to both property development and investment companies incurring expenditure on land remediation works since 2001. As with most areas of tax, the legislation is complex and certain conditions must be fulfilled to obtain the tax benefit available. Identifying eligible expenditure is not a simple task and specialist advice is needed to ensure a successful and maximised claim is achieved.
SDLT (Stamp Duty Land Tax) is an additional tax cost, as much as 4% of purchase price or lease rental value, and should not be overlooked. Potential planning opportunities still exist and we can help our clients take advantage of those wherever possible.
VAT legislation relating to property investment and construction is constantly evolving and the implications of getting it wrong are far reaching and costly. Once again, specialist advice at an early stage is required to ensure that the legislation is fully complied with and any VAT planning opportunities are taken advantage of.
The CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) affects all those working within the construction industry as well as some investors in property. The legislation is applied strictly and non-compliance can lead to increased tax costs and high penalties. The employment status of subcontractors is currently very high on HMRC’s agenda and is becoming a major concern for all contractors. A simple review of records and procedures is often all that is necessary to ensure full compliance with the scheme, but if things do go wrong, we have the necessary expertise to deal with HMRC challenges and enquiries.